How to Welcome the New Year



New Year. New You.

I often see, read and hear people saying this before, during and after new year's eve. There are a lot of emotions that is significantly attached to this outlook but what tops it all is both the hope and the fear that is deeply crept into our hearts. Somewhere deep down, we are hoping that this year would be better, more prosperous and more joyful but there is this fear that maybe we'll make mistakes or we'll execute wrong decisions that will put us financially, emotionally, physically and spiritually drained.

These are crossroad moments for me and an opportunity to seek God through prayer and fasting. I have to admit that the last quarter of the previous year had exposed my heart's unbelief and my unwillingness to surrender my own will to God's will. But this year, started with a deeper longing to have a strong relationship with God and a healthier devotion to Him through reading the scriptures and prayer. 

“Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” - Joel 2:12

I have learned to joyfully surrender whatever it is that God is exposing in my heart today and this is the kind of fear that I find healthy. The fear of God that is in me allows me to surrender to Him what I am incapable of handling by myself. There is no better way to start the year than to surrender - only then, we'll find a better version of us. 


You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram