Quick Thoughts: What I Think of When I Fail

by - 10:56 PM



I cannot count how many times I have failed more so the times that I had let failure dictate who I can be and what I am capable of. Recently, I had another experience of making a mistake in front of the class because of my failure to give the right insight on a particular Biblical verse. Standing in front of the class to give premises to my stand for two minutes felt like the longest two minutes of my life. 

Have you ever felt that too? There was a time when you were so sure that what you had was right but it turned out to be a big mistake and you are now tempted to criticize yourself for not knowing everything. I am not an expert in facing failures but as a normal human being, here's what I have learned:

1. I am not perfect

Perfection is a false goal and it is an unnecessary goal because nobody is honestly driving us to be perfect. Also, it is an impossible goal. However, this is not an excuse for under performance. The goal is not perfection but progress so don't put pressure on yourself and don't be surprised when you are corrected.

2. My mistakes don't define me

Mistakes and failures can be a platform for success if only we get to realize that their mere existence is not to tell us that we so totally suck at an area of our life that there's no way of getting out of it. However, these circumstances exists to tell us what we lack for the moment and how we can improve on them.
Again, your failure is not who you are. Whenever you fall, just stand again, laugh a little and then move on. 

3. It is not yet the end of the world

My failure to give the right insight during our classroom discussion on hermeneutics always gives me the cringe whenever it gets its way into my head. I felt so ashamed that I feel like I have no more guts to face everyone because I feel less capable as a campus missionary. And there was this time of reminiscing that two questions popped into my head:

- How many minutes did you stand in front feeling embarrassed? And I answered myself - two minutes.
- How many minutes, hours, days, months or years are you going to serve in the ministry? And I answered - as long as I live.

Then it popped in. Would I let my two-minute embarrassing situation negatively affect how I approach the rest of my life? Certainly not! 

No matter how long you've had failures or how many they were, it's not the end of your life. Do not let these little things define the great things that you could do for God and for others.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead - Philippians 3:13

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram