Busyness Is Not A Leadership Value

by - 11:59 PM



Our teacher in the School of Campus Ministry said that our values are important because they shape how we live our lives. 

When I was still a student, I thought that being busy was a good thing because it gives me that sense of being significant to others. One person needed me here and the other needed me there. One needs me to do this while the other wants me to do that. It was crazy but I really thought I was doing well. I cannot even take a rest because I feel like I was Super Woman or the Wonder Girl (or Darna). Busyness, without me knowing, had become my value and I craved for it only to find out that I was no longer in control of my busyness. 

When I gained a little bit of maturity, I learned this: "Just because you're busy doesn't mean you are productive." As what Andy Stanley said in his book The Next Generation Leader, we have to embrace this truth: The less you do, the more you will accomplish.

Does that mean we'll not maximize our efforts, resources, skills and talents? By no means! All the more we have to channel these things into delegating responsibilities to others instead of doing it all by ourselves and as we delegate, let us develop and lead those to whom we had given the task to. People who do not know how to raise up leaders will always limit their organization, institution or ministry. 

Instead of being BUSY, this what you're supposed to do:

1. BE A SERVANT-LEADER

Some leaders look like good leaders while they are following but when they start to move high up the ladder of position and leadership, they tend to show their real masks of tyranny. When they get promoted, they tend to look busy but their busyness gets in the way of their leadership. 

A servant leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps them develop and perform as highly as possible. Focus primarily on the growth and well-being of the people in your organization and ministries and not just on your own selfish ambition of wanting to feel important. 

2. BE INVISIBLE

Admit it or not - you wanted to appear busy because you wanted others to applaud you which gives you a sense of significance but life is not about flaunting and so, once in a while, learn to be invisible. Imitate those who do not build the entire team around themselves. 

Wise leaders fight the tendency for leader-worship. They are firmly secured whether or not they get the recognition for a successful event or for reaching the  goals of the organization or ministry.

3. BE EMPOWERING

Be a leader who passes the power to other people. Be one who speaks words of encouragement and shares both the work and the spotlight with others. Do not be too much of a perfectionist because an extreme perfectionist will never be an empowering leader. 

In leadership, busyness should not become a value. As leaders, we must learn how to delegate and empower others to be more productive and be experts in handling bigger responsibilities. If you are to be busy, please be busy with developing others to become a better leader than who you are because that's what we truly value - Leadership Development. 

I hope that even when you're taking a leave from work or when you're someplace else, you'll be confident that the work will carry on because you have empowered people to do it.


(Disclaimer: The busyness indicated here is not synonymous to being hard-working or productive.)

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram