TRAVELATIONS: Make the Most of the Present



I am a huge fan of traveling and seeing different places always reminds me that there's another place in this world that's distinct from my own. Most of my deeper thoughts and views in life came from all  the reflections that I had while waiting for the buses, being patient with the delays in the airport and staying calm in the midst of emergency landings. 

Just this week, I traveled a couple of hours to Davao City to meet my cousin for a one-day getaway at Eden Nature's Park. It is a place that I would recommend to those who are planning a trip which involves nature and adventure. Though I enjoyed all our crazy adventures together, my travel revelation took place before the fun time. My jump-off site before going to Davao was Digos City and I was planning to leave the place at 10 in the morning as to be on time for my meet-up with my cousin. However, I got a little bit lazy so I was able to go to the bus terminal at 11 in the morning. I felt guilty and worried at the same time because I left an hour late which means that I'll arrive late at Davao and my cousin would have to wait for me for another hour. 

Have you ever felt that? That guilty feeling just by thinking about the inconvenience that you would cause others because of your idleness. And such feeling could lead us to thinking about all the frustrations that we have in all the other areas of our life. In the midst of my frustration and guilt, I learned three valuable lessons that I could keep for the rest of my life:

1. No Regrets

Have you ever tried re-visiting your past? Your yesterday's experiences? Your past decisions? What do they look like? Were they full of contentment? Or were they filled with regrets?

Whenever I remember how my idleness caused me to go to the bus station an hour late than what I had planned, I started to have regrets and the "If-Only's" started to rush in my mind. However, I realized that time is not something that I can control (though I can manage it) and the past is something that I cannot alter and so, sulking over things that are beyond my capability as a human being is futile. People who live in their past mistakes often live in regret and this regret will lead them to be insecure where they compare themselves with others or with how they used to be. 

Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.. - Philippians 3:13 
This principle in the Bible is a reminder for me not to dwell on my past mistakes and my past victories but to continually move forward to what God wanted me to do and what He also wanted me to enjoy in this lifetime. So let go of past hatred. Do not dwell on past mistakes. Do not boast on past victories. Do not look back. Live life with no regrets.

2. No Worries

I am perceptive by nature and the future for me is like the present day where I live in the reality of my hope. However, there are moments where I worry too much because of the expectations that others have for me on top of the ones that I have for myself.

While I was on that bus on my way to Davao, I was so anxious because I know that I'll be late and being an inconvenience to others is not a good thing. However, I realized that negatively thinking ahead of things before they happen is also not a good thing. Why? Because this often leads to being impatient. 

Are you one of those people who had these goals in life but you worry too much about the future that you became so impatient? A lot of people never reached their goals not because they're incapable, but because they were not patient enough to wait or not patient enough to endure and persevere. 

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:34
Worrying doesn't do us any good but it's just something that we constantly do with total uselessness. I believe God values our life more than we do and worrying over our lives will not add another minute to it. It is not a hyper-spiritual thing to not worry but it's a simple decision that you can make every single day. 

3. Make the Most of the Present 

I no longer have a 20/20 vision and so wearing the right lenses help me to see clearly. A lot of people lose the beauty and the joy of what's happening around them at this moment because they're looking from the wrong lenses of the past or from the worries of the future. While I was on that bus, I realized that if there is something that I have to set my mind into apart from Christ then that is NOW. 

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” - Lamentations 3:22 - 24
The reason why I no longer have any regrets of the past and no worries for my future is because God's unfailing love and mercy is abounding even at this present time. 



You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram